As a lab leader, you know your department is an integral part of your health system’s ability to care for patients. But as technology changes, many clinical labs struggle to adapt because of space limitations. An efficient, flexible lab layout will boost efficiency, reduce errors, and decrease costs, all while enabling your facility to take advantage of future technological innovations.
Why is Space Planning Such a Problem in Hospital Labs?
- Multiple disciplines with specialized equipment and processes
- Various complex automated and manual procedures
- Changing regulatory requirements that impact workflows
- New technology and equipment that take up space
- Small workforce with employees stretched across disciplines
Why Choose Accumen for Space Planning?
Our approach balances the unique needs of individual laboratories with optimal operational efficiency and high customer-service standards. We combine our real-world operational experience and intimate knowledge of the clinical lab with a deep understanding of Lean workflows, including potential obstacles.
Advanced Planning and Review Visualizations:
360 HoverView Videos
If a redesigned workflow, increased efficiency, and higher revenue are on your lab’s wish list
contact Accumen to learn how we can help you make your vision a reality.
Our Approach to Modern Lab Designer and Space Planning
Accumen’s expert team is composed of experienced lab leaders and Lean Six Sigma experts. We take a comprehensive approach incorporating your lab’s operations, revenue, and service goals into account and creates an environment that supports long-term success.
Start With a Strategic Approach
- Conduct project preplanning
- Develop balanced scorecard strategy, taking into account growth, service, people, and financial goals
- Review health system and master facility strategic plans
Operations Review and Recommendations
- Analyze services, current equipment, current process flow
- Identify customer needs
- Identify employee needs
- Analyze current space and organization structure
- Conduct facility review
- Analyze inventory system
Formulate a Strategy
- Develop high-level design notes including operating assumptions and future process flow
- Incorporate technological changes or new requirements that will affect the space
- Identify key adjacencies and supporting activities
- Identify workstation needs and other constraints
Design the Future Layout
- Calculate needed space
- Create high-level space plan(s)
- Evaluate space plan options
- Develop floor plan and cost estimates
- Create schematic design